At least you must know these first before you can fight cancer
Many of us have fallen as victims to war with cancer. Various factors can contribute to the development of cancer since our younger age, but below is the least you must know of what to avoid and what you should take and why you should take those.
This article does not stand alone, you must read the whole series to understand the issue deeper.
Apart from the title of this article “Good Foods and Bad Foods Related to Cancer”, I think it is better if you read the bad ones first as they are the most you MUST – at any efforts and costs – avoid as much as possible.
So let’s start with the bad ones, the foods or substances or nutrients or whatever people or scientists name them.
The bad ones to avoid
Substances that promote bad cell to develop:
- Sugar / glucose: cakes, pies, cheesecake, breads, and other sources of refined sugar
- White flour: white breads, white pasta and the likes
- Red meats: the irons are good in promoting cancer growth
- Calcium: promotes prostate cancer
- Aspartate: in any form of artificial sugars / sweeteners
- Glutamate: in any form of food additives or MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate)
- Some single-used vitamins
- SAMe (S-Adenosyl methionine): sold as supplements for treating joint / mobility problem and emotional stability
- Fluoride: Fluoride and some other metals like mercury and aluminum are very toxic for cells and promote cancer; they are especially bad for brain cells.
- Cheeses, processed meats and black tea are high with aluminum and fluoride
- Mercury: Usually comes from vaccines, amalgam dental fillings and contaminated fish
Omega 6 fats. Excess in omega 6 oil can lead to cell malfunction and in the end it leads to cancer; these are sources:
- Canola oils
Study shown that these oils function as an enhancer for cancer, makes it grow and spread wildly. One of the mechanism how they do this is by increasing the COX-2 enzyme so that they are called the pro-inflammatory fats.
The good ones to take
Good to protecting our genes and increase DNA repair:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D: 2,000 IU a day
- Vitamin E
- Omega 3 fats: olive, flax and coconut oils; help keep cell membrane elastic, protecting the cells, allowing for hydration and oxygenation
- Selenium: It is available as supplement. Brazil nuts have the most concentration of it
- Calcium: On the other hand of falling into bad substance, especially if calcium combined with vitamin D3, can hinder colon cancer
- Quercetin: A flavonoid found in teas, onions apples and cranberries
- Ginkgo biloba: Ginkgos are large trees found in China
- Resveratrol: Most available in wine, grapes and peanuts; but do not eat too much peanuts considering its fat-content
- Curcumin: Extracted from turmeric spice
- Luteolin: In artichoke and celery
- Apigenin: In artichoke and celery
- Hesperidin: Found in oranges
- Alpha-lipoic acid
- Folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, and niacinamide are also key in repairing DNA.
- Black tea and green tea have more aluminum and fluoride than white tea, but it is still recommended taken moderately
- White tea also has greater concentration of EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which is a substance good for supressing colon cancer. It is good if you drink 2 cups of strongly made white tea twice a day
- Glutathione(GSH) cannot be found in any food sources because it is in the group of endogenous antioxidant, that means it is only made by our bodies. Even though glutathione(GSH) is NOT available in any food or vegetables, it is very important to at foods rich in glutathione peroxidase(GPx) because glutathione peroxidase(GPx) is a strong combatant of free radicals. Glutathione peroxidase(GPx).
- Alternatively, although glutathione(GSH) does not exist in foods, tomato, spinach, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, avocado and curcumin do help our body to make more Glutathione(GSH) and that is why, increase your body’s GSH levels.
Aside from those useful substances, these vegetables and fruits contain substances that can neutralize or eliminate the pesticides and herbicides’ cancer-causing effects:
- Curcumin: extracted from turmeric spice
- EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate): found in green tea
- Quercetin: a flavonoid found in teas, onions apples and cranberries
- Glucosinolate: from broccoli, kale and Brussels sprouts
The cancerous effects of pesticides and herbicides can be neutralized by the products of these foods by stimulating the body’s detoxification systems, both in all cells and in the liver to protect or even reverse liver cancer.
All of these nutrients have been shown to reduce cancer risk in humans and experimental animals.
The good fats
Omega-3 oil, flaxseed oil and other oils that composed of alpha-linolenic acid are good fats that are converted to:
- EPA = eicosapentaenoic acid
- DHA = docosahexaenoic acid, one substance found in omega-3 fats in fish oils
Fishes that eat algae obtain that useful ingredients; that explains why deep-sea salmon / fishes are more superior that farm-raised fish which lacks those important substances.
DHA has more powerful anti-cancer effect than EPA specifically in fighting breasts, prostate and colon cancers. Algae contains pure DHA. Adults should take a dose of 500 mg per day and children ages 2 – 12 should take 100 my a day.
Seared and over-cooked meat develop heterocyclic amines, which are powerful cancer-causing compounds that very much associated to stomach and colon cancers.
Studies have revealed that consuming meats with fresh vegetables can signifantly reduces the danger of heterocyclic amine, as do vitamin C, hesperidin, curcumin and quercetin.
The “good” oils
Basically no oil is good if too much consumed, however, we still need oils. One of the most unlisted ingredients in food packaging is omega-6 oil, which is still essential for our body. The problem is that the majority of people consumes much more than needed. We cannot blame people for things the do not know. Omega-6 oil usually used as part of the mixture of dough in biscuits, crackers making or the likes.
While a small amount of omega-6 oil is essential, most people are consuming 50 times more than they need. Instead, use either extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil for cooking. If you use extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with turmeric and other spices; this prevents oxidation of the oil.
Use extra virgin olive oil instead, or extra virgin coconut oil for baking and cooking. A sprinkle of turmeric and other spices on the virgin olive oil will prevent oil oxidation.
There are issues in daily life, high quality beats quantity in relation to making a choice on vegetables and fruit.
Even though fresh fruits might have essential cancer-fighting capacity, it’s not at all recommended that you simply consume a lot of those. That is because most of them tend to be loaded with glucose, which raises your chance of cancer, together with neurodegenerative illnesses like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
The relation is the fact that large calorie consumption raises free-radical production.
A number of vegetables consist of very high amounts of cancer-preventing compounds, and others possess only a few.
The best are called cruciferous vegetables that are full of strong cancer-fighting power such as:
- Brussels sprouts
Next are the ones in this group:
- Red and green peppers
- Cabbage (the best is the purple one)
- Collard greens
- Mustard greens
- Turnip greens
Out of the fruit-group, the most significant ones are:
- Apples (some publications say the McIntosh apples are the best)
About grapes and fluoride
You might have questioned the reason why grapes were not stated in the above list, have you not?
Grapes do actually have some strong nutrients in cancer-preventing but unfortunatelly the majority of commercially produced grapes happen to be grown up in California and they are high in fluoride, that is utilized for insecticide which is applied upon plants.
Fluoride, a really reactive component, adheres to all the ingredients belonging to the grape and it continues to present even though the fruit is sold in bundles or processed into wine and juice. Organic grapes might or might not contain it, depending on the grower.
Studies shown that young people exposed to more fluoride consumption have more risk in bone cancer and other cancer growth by 600%. Another major studies revealed that people lived in cities with fluoridated supply of water were 10% in higher risk than those lived in fluoride-free supply of water.
Men and prostrate cancer
Just like women, men should also take supplement as women. You can read the explanation in the “Does breast cancer require chemo?” article.
Here are what men should take if they are at great risk in suffering from [or want to avoid] prostate cancer:
- CLA oils (conjugated linoleic acid)
- GLA oil (borage oil)
- DIM (diindolylmethane)
- Omega-3 oils that is rich with especially DHA
- Natural vitamin E
- Vitamin D-3
- Selenium: will give better effect if combined with natural vitamin E
- Boswellia: is a plant extract, good as inflammation fighter, that contains substance called AKBA, a powerful anti-inflammatory
- Lycopene: is the red substance in tommato, watermelon and other red vegetables and fruits; better if taken with dose of 20 to 30 milligrams. This will give even better result if combined with:
- Indole-3 carbinol: an extract from broccoli
- Add zinc to enhance the effect
Substances that can flush fluoride
- Vitamin C (buffered ascorbate of 1000 mg 2 or 3 times per day
- Iodine 300 micrograms per day
- Magnesium 500 – 1,000 mg per day
- Selenium 200 microgram per day